Oh boy! Wait ’till you try these! You won’t believe how a common egg roll can be transformed into a gourmet feast! Small batch: makes 7 or 8 egg rolls.
Egg Roll Ingredients:
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- ½ chopped green pepper
- ½ small onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped sweet potato
- ½ cup chopped or shredded leftover beef or pork roast (optional) ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp Doc’s Jamaican Jerk Sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pkg egg roll wrappers
- 2 or 3 cups canola oil (for deep frying)
Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- ¼ cup Apricot jam or jelly
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar (light)
- 3 Tbsp Doc’s Jamaican Hot Sauce
- 6 Tbsp water
- In a medium bowl, mix Dipping Sauce ingredients together thoroughly and set aside in refrigerator until later.
- In a frying pan, heat olive oil and add cabbage, pepper, onion, sweet potato and meat.
- Sprinkle mixture with garlic powder and salt and saute for 15 minutes on a medium heat setting.
- Turn heat to low and cover pan, cooking on low for another 5 minutes, stirring every minute or so.
- Remove from heat and add Doc’s Jamaican Jerk Sauce and mix thoroughly.
- On a counter top take out egg roll wrappers one at a time. Lay one wrapper flat and coat the outside edges with water (dip fingers in water and run around the perimeter of the egg roll wrapper.)
- Put 1 heaping Tbsp of cooked mixture in the middle of the egg roll wrapper and spread diagonally out in a line, leaving about ¾ of an inch of room at each corner.
- Fold one corner over mixture, then fold each side-corner over, toward the middle. Then roll the entire egg roll until the far corner is sealed.
- Heat canola oil in a sauce pan (about 325 degrees or until a drop of water spits)
- Deep fry 2 or 3 egg rolls in hot oil until they turn a golden brown, turning once (if they turn dark brown quickly, lower the heat on your oil).
- Remove and drain on paper towel.
Dip cooked egg rolls in the dipping sauce and eat as finger food! Awesome flavors!