These breakfast burritos were inspired by leftovers from our Jamaican Pulled Pork (Ultimate Holiday Jamaican Pork Roast). We also make them with leftover Jerk chicken.
If you have any leftover Jerk Chicken or Jamaican Pulled Pork you will absolutely love these breakfast burritos!
The combination of small, sauteed sweet potato cubes, diced & pan-seared green peppers, loads of gooey melted cheese on top of scrambled eggs and topped off with our Jamaican Pulled Pork or grilled Jerk Chicken… and Jah-Mon, what a meal!
Ingredients:(makes 6-8 burritos)
- 4 large Eggs
- 4 oz shredded fiesta blend cheese (any combination of shredded Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla, Asadero, Mozzarella cheeses)
- ½ of a medium size bell pepper
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 Tblsp Doc’s MB Family Jamaican Jerk Sauce
- 3 Tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tblsp water
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups of leftover Jamaican Pulled Pork or Grilled Jerk Chicken (diced)
- 1 pkg of small soft taco shells
- Doc’s MB Family Jamaican Hot Sauce (optional)
- Prepare the jerk/sour cream sauce to apply to the soft taco shells – In a bowl, combine the sour cream and Doc’s Jamaican Jerk Sauce. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Heat your leftover Jamaican Pulled Pork or Jerk Chicken in a microwave oven (using a microwave safe container) or in a toaster oven (wrapped in aluminum foil or in a covered oven dish). Set aside.
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes and bell pepper (dice into ¼ inch to ½ inch blocks).
- Using a hot, dry skillet (I use cast iron) sear the diced bell pepper, (medium-high heat) stirring intermittently until the pepper cubes are slightly blackened and softened a bit. Remove peppers from pan and set aside on a dish of in a bowl.
- Using the same skillet, add 2 Tblsp of olive oil and then add the diced sweet potatoes after the oil gets hot. Saute the diced sweet potatoes until they are browned and softened (medium-high heat). Remove sweet potatoes from skillet and set aside with the seared peppers.
- Break eggs into a bowl, add 2 Tblsp of water, onion powder and sea salt. Whisk vigorously until well-blended.
- Using the same skillet, heat 1 Tblsp olive oil and then pour the egg mixture into the warmed skillet. Stir eggs with a spatula until they begin to thicken a little (medium heat), then add the cooked peppers and sweet potatoes. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens to the point that none of the egg is runny and then remove the pan from the stove.
- Add shredded cheese to the mixture in the skillet and put a lid over the top (cheese will melt).
- Remove 6 to 8 soft taco shells from the package and, using a spoon, spread a thin layer of the jerk/sour cream sauce on each shell.
- Using a spatula, divide the egg-mixture in the skillet into even portions (cheese will be melted and gooey) and put a portion on each shell (in a wide line in the middle of the shell). Add a small amount of pulled pork or Jerk Chicken on top of the egg mixture on each shell (If you are a hot sauce lover, add a dash of Doc’s Jamaican Hot sauce on top of the meat).
- Fold the shell anyway you like and ENJOY!